• Coronavirus Notice: We’re continually reviewing the impact of Covid-19 on our ability to deliver services to customers. We’re posting information on our website and on social media to make customers aware of any changes to our services. Our latest advice can be found here>.

  • We've recently changed 'My Account' on our website portal. For security you will need to reset your account password, if you need some help try watching this video. Thank you. 

Universal Credit arrived in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Wednesday 12th December 2018. Universal Credit replaced some of the existing benefits, such as your Housing Benefit, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Your payments will be constructed on your earnings; this isn’t based on how many hours you work. This means you have a range of flexibility and can apply for a wider range of jobs and get back to work sooner as Universal Credit tops up your earnings even if you’re on a low income. 

Depending on certain circumstances, you could still get help and advice on pushing your earnings to a higher rate when you’re in work.

From 15 May, new pensioners with partners under the age of 65 will not be able to claim pension credit. If this applies to you, talk to a member of our Money Advice Team who will be able to give you further information.  

Who Can claim?

Universal Credit is being introduced into different stages. If you claim it will depend on where you live and your personal circumstances. 

To get Universal Credit you must: 

  • Be living in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland 
  • Be under state pension age 
  • Be 18 or over 
  • Not have savings or capital over £16,000 
  • Not be in full-time education 

You need to make a joint claim as a partnership if you live with your partner. If one of you isn’t eligible, their savings and income will still be taken into account at this time.

Manage your money

Universal Credit is paid in monthly batches and is designed to match the way salaries are paid. You may be used to controlling your money in this way, but help is available if you need the support. 

Your monthly payment may include the amount going towards your rent, you will be responsible for using this money to pay your landlord yourself. 

Couples that live in the same households will receive one monthly payment between both of them, which will be paid into a suitable account of your choice. This could be a joint account or even a single account in either name.


Where to get help?

If you need help and assistance with these, you can:

  • Conrtact Universal Cedit helpline on 0800 3289344Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm
  • Visit our financial inclusion hub at Castleton on Wednesday afternoons, 2pm-4pm
  • Contact the Money Advice Team through live chat, on Friday, 10am-12pm & 2pm-4pm
  • Visit the Money Advice Team surgeries; view the events calandar to see surgery dates

Related Blogs

Dementia Awareness for Aspire Staff

We’re training our customers to be Dementia Friends – providing better support and greater awareness in our...

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit arrived in Newcastle-under-Lyme on Wednesday 12th December 2018. Universal Credit replaced...

Keele University partners with Aspire Housing to improve local people’s lives

We’re delighted to announce being part of a new study, which will see experts from Keele University work with...

Find Your Perfect Home With Aspire...