Back to the list

How will Universal Credit affect me?

Universal Credit is being introduced throughout 2018 in phases. You can check here if you are eligible to claim Universal Credit or an existing benefit.

If you need to make a new claim for any of the following benefits, this will now be Universal Credit if you are eligible.

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

If you are already claiming these benefits and don’t need to claim another one you don’t need to do anything now. The Department for Work and Pensions will get in touch with you before there are any changes to your benefits.

Universal Credit works differently to the existing benefit system and it is still relatively new, it hasn’t been launched across all areas of the UK yet. It launched in Cheshire in 2017 and will roll out across the country throughout 2018.

Here’s some key information you should know about UC:

  • Any new claim for any of the existing benefits above will be replaced by Universal Credit
  • A claim for Universal Credit will need to be made online
  • Even if you are receiving one of the benefits above and need to make a new claim for another one, the new claim will be for Universal Credit
  • The money to pay your rent with will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment, it is important that you keep your rent account up to date
  • You will still need to apply for Council Tax Support with the council

We can help and support you through the transition to Universal Credit. Visit one of our Money Advice or Income Management drop-in sessions – visit our Events calendar to find your nearest session.

If you’d prefer to speak to one of our team, you can reach our expert Money Advisors on 01782 635200.

  1. Money Advice

Chat Live now!