What are aids and adaptations?

An adaptation is an alteration or additional fittings which can be provided to assist you, or someone within your home to access the basic facilities within their home. This is usually required if you, or someone in your household is disabled or their mobility is impaired.
Adaptations are usually split up into two types –
Minor Adaptations and Major Adaptations.

What are adaptations?

Understanding the difference between minor and major adaptations is crucial.

Here, you can learn about the differences between minor and major adaptations, how they can help improve accessibility in your home, and the processes for requesting them.


Speak with your local council to see what additional  support and to arrange an Occupational Therapist assessment. 

Find your local council

We can arrange minor adaptations quickly to make your home more accessible. You can request these changes yourself or through a family member, care and support worker, or your GP. Minor adaptations include:


•    Grab Rails


•    Stair Bannister Rails


•    Lever Taps

These small adjustments can significantly improve safety and ease of use in your home.

For major adaptations, you must make requests through your Local Authority’s Social Services Occupational Therapy Team. These changes usually include:


•    Wet Rooms


•    Ramped Access


•    Stairlifts


•    Hoists


   Wheelchair-Adapted Kitchens


All works for major adaptations will need to be funded by a Disabled Facilities Grant. On occasions, where you're unable to move to a different adapted home, we may be able to approve floor lifts and extensions. 

Aids & adaptions

Disabled Facilities Grant for major adaptations

You can apply to your local authority for a means-tested grant (Disabled Facilities Grant) to help cover the cost of adapting your home.


If your application is successful, the adaptations will be made according to the recommendations from the occupational therapist.

Disabled facilities grants

Frequently Asked Questions

What are my options if my home can't be adapted for my accessibility needs?


We’ll always strive to help you stay in your home and live independently.

While we may be able to carry out the necessary adaptations, sometimes we might need to consider other options, such as relocating you to another Aspire Housing home that better suits your needs. 

Your local council also maintains a register of housing suitable for people with disabilities or homes that can be more easily adapted.

Rest assured, we’ll never force you to move out of your home. We’ll always work with you to find the right solution, so there’s no need to worry.

Where can I get information about adapting my home?


If you'd like to know about what adaptations we may be able to support you with, you can send us a message on MyAccount or contact us.


•   Find out about what funding may be available


•   Contact your local council


•   Find out about Disabled Facilities Grants on the government website


Will I be able to get what I need for free?


Your local council will carry out an assessment that fill identify what specialist equipment you may need to support you to live independently 

What happens if I don't qualify for any financial support?


If your local council carries out an assessment and decides you don’t qualify for help, they won’t be able to give you any equipment or carry out any adaptations. But, they will give you free information and advice, for example about where to buy equipment, and about other organisations and charities that might be able to help.

Aids and Adaptations referral form